Monday, February 8, 2016

Jobless Crapness

Something Ive been meaning to write about... me being laid off. I was laid off in October, but I think I can finally write without anger or using disgusting communication that I'll permanently leave on the internet.

I am currently working at a place part time as a costume entertainer. I like the job.
(I am also collecting unemployment because, well, nobody can live on a part time job when you are depending on yourself financially. But the money I make I have to report, and I only get the difference in the amount of my unemployment. So I am really not even making any money. I would be making more money sitting on my butt at home than to be working).

My heart is still seeking that gratification that yes, I did it! I hold the true title of "Interior Designer," put my $130,000 crippling debt Bachelors degree to purpose. Whether it takes me a few weeks to a few years, I am still determined.

I thought a career change would be good for me...I've already tried getting other seemingly non-related positions (receptionist/HR which I actually have interest in and I think I would do a pretty excellent job at). But since I have a degree in Interior Design, well, people that are not of the design world do not understand that I know how to do more than pick out wall paint and put plants in the corner.

Anyways, I initally read some "motivating" and "uplifting" articles on when you first get laid off, and there was all this jibber jabber about how you should go travel somewhere you've never been or do that one thing that you want to do at some time in your life that you haven't been able to do... But how can you POSSIBLY want to spend the money that you don't have? You are freaking out like, "How the hell am I going to pay my bills?" My advice would be... don't. Don't go spend the money you don't have. Instead, do what I did and let the debilitating fear of failure consume you.

I'm just kidding, please PLEASE go take that cross country trip to California and GO FIND YOURSELF. Then let me know how it went, unless you had like, a ton of money saved up before you got laid off, because in that case, I don't want to hear about it.

Hopefully you have someone to rely on, and I am blessed as can be that I do actually have that someone.

My parents are also alive and in a house too, so there is that, which I am most fortunate for, but I am trying to use that as a last resort. It's just a better kind of relationship. Once you've moved out of your parents and you move back, it's not always rainbows and sunshine.

Nonetheless, I was reading some inspirational quotes related to getting my ass back on track with working (because I am seriously depressed and my motivation is getting eaten alive every day by the existing failure and fear of the future...) Here are a FEW of my favorite lines.
(You can check out the full article here!! )
 
Title: Business Insider
LinkedIn - 42 Successful People Share The Best Advice They Ever Received


"You're never as good as your best review, and never as bad as your worst."
Vivian Schiller, Chief Officer at NBC News, former CEO of NPR.

"In the beginners mind, the possibilities are endless. In an experts mind, the possibilities are few."
Anand Chandrasakaren, Entreprenurial Product Leader at Yahoo. 
(via 'The Book of Life' - J. Krishnamurti)


AND


"Clint had a rule of thirds for happiness in life. He told me to ask three questions: Are you happy with your job? Are you happy with where you live? Are you happy with who you're with (depending on your circumstances that could mean friends, spouse, partner etc). If you answered Yes to at least two out of the three, you found your spot for the moment. If not, you need to make a change to one of them."
Jeff Selingo, Columnist and Editor. (Via Clint Williams)


And I would like to add... in relation to becoming successful, this is the best advice I had ever gotten. From my high school band teacher, and he said it often during practice for our performances.
"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."
(Mr. Hilton)


So to those of you who are suffering like I am, and nobody understands, well, I do. Just keep going. If you feel you are in the same boat I am, my advice would be: Improve the skills you already have and take up a hobby you have not tried.


(end)




No comments:

Post a Comment